Andy Warhol lived from 1928 to 1987. He died when he was 59 years old.He was born in Pittsburgh.
His birth name was Andrew Warhola only latter in his life did he change his name to Andy Warhol. He loved to paint and right magazines. He showed an interest at a early age.
Important things to know about Andy Warhol.
* Andy Wahol’s father was a construction worker and died in a tragic accident when Andy was only 13 years old.
* Andy also showed an early talent of being able to paint and draw.
* After high school Andy went on to learn more in the institute of technology in Pittsburgh.
* Warhol graduated in 1949.
* When he moved to New York he decided to become an illustrator for magazines such as Vogue, and Harper’s bazaar.
* He became one of New York’s best commercial illustrators.
* In 1952 Andy had his first big exhibition in New York
* In 1956 he had his first group exhibition at the museum of modern art in new York.
* In the sixties he started painting items of daily mass distribution such as Coke bottles and Gamble soup cans.
* In 1062 he started making silkscreen prints of famous personalities such as Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor.
Later in Andy Warhol’s life he decided that he wanted to produce his own works of soda pop art. In 1962 he decided to found a factory. To him the factory was an art museum that he could use to hire a whole bunch of artist and he could start his own prints like posters and shoes.
Andy Warhol’s favorite technique was the machine called the silkscreen and he used it often. This was because these machines made his printings look the best. This was very important to him because the better it looked the more people wanted to buy them.
Andy Warhol made over 300 experimental underground films. Most of the underground films were pornographic. His first film was a a film called sleep it was a film that played a man sleeping for over six hours. This was a big improvement for Andy because he invented something.
In July of the year 1968 Andy Warhol, the pop artist was brutally shot two to three times in the chest he had to be rushed to the emergency room, and barley survived. The woman that shot him was Valerie Solanis.
Valerie Solanis was a woman that worked in the factory for some time. When Valerie Solanis was arrested the following day after the shooting she had stated that he had too much power over her life.
Andy Warhol never fully recovered from the shooting and he hurt badly for some time. Also he was stuck having to wear a bandage around his waist for the rest of his life. He had problems with walking, and bending, also anything that he had to move his back to do.
Tragically on February 22, 1987 the famous Andy Warhol died from complications from a gall bladder infection operation. More than two thousand people attended his funeral. The funeral was held on St. Patrick’s cathedral. The pop artist also was a religious man.
Andy Warhol was a very intelligent man with a lot of great gifts.